BPI Seeks Volunteers for Certification Scheme Committe
Originally published: 01.29.13 by HVACR Business Staff
The Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI) is actively seeking volunteers to serve on a scheme committee for its Whole House HVAC Quality Maintenance certification program.
The committee will prepare a certification scheme that will guide the development of test questions for the Whole House HVAC Quality Maintenance Certification. And, committee members will earn up to 12 BPI CEUs for their participation.
This certification is designed to ensure that a candidate involved in an HVAC clean and tune or a whole house energy retrofit has successfully demonstrated the minimum tasks to be performed for identifying energy, health and safety, and durability issues in the home, the organization says. This includes inspecting, testing, and measuring electrical components, controls, mechanical, venting, air distribution, and piping systems of residential HVAC systems in accordance with the Air Conditioning Contractors of America ANSI/ACCA Standard 4: Maintenance of Residential HVAC Systems.
The scheme committee also will focus on the requirements for the candidate to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities to provide recommended corrective actions to remedy identified energy, health and safety, and durability related issues, issues like cleaning, or adjusting, and/or replacing equipment and components of HVAC systems on a periodic basis.
The following general categories of volunteers are needed:
- Building scientists
- Home performance and HVAC contractors
- Program implementers
- General interest persons
- Certification Scheme Committee members shall:
- be a subject matter expert of the proposed certification;
- have at least three (3) years experience in the field of the certification scheme;
- be free from any competing interest to ensure impartiality and non-discriminatory judgments (assessments);
- disclose any conflict of interest and not participate in any decisions where a conflict exists;
- Commit to attend all conference calls (2-3 hours/month total) unless extenuating circumstances prevent attendance;
- and sign and abide by the BPI Code of Ethics and Conduct which includes a confidentiality agreement.
Responsibilities of the Certification Scheme Committee include:
- Communicating with the CMB and BPI's Certification Development Department.
- Reviewing the title and scope of the certification scheme and providing feedback to the CMB on ways to improve and/or clarify it.
- Developing or reviewing the job task analysis of the certification scheme.
- Identifying the pre-qualifications required for the certification scheme.
- Developing or reviewing, and approving the test instruments to confirm that the candidate for the certification has the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the certification scheme.
- Developing or reviewing, and approving the certification scheme handbook.
- Reviewing the certification scheme every five years and recommending updates as required.
- Responding to all issues on a certification scheme as directed by the CMB and the Manager of Certification Development.
- Reviewing the summary of candidate's surveillance activity results at least once a year.
Individuals who are interested are asked to complete and submit an application for membership no later than February 15.
Articles by HVACR Business Staff
Thermostat Recycling Corporation Offers New Training Videos
Thermostat Recycling Corporation (TRC) has released new training videos to provide step-by-step guidance to its mercury thermostat recycling program.
NW Ductless Heat Pump Project Announces 2013 Contractor of the Year Award Winners
NW Ductless Heat Pump Project announces 2013 Contractor of the Year Award winners: Honored contractors have provided exemplary service as they introduce customers to the comfort and value of ductless heating and cooling systems
Daikin AC Introduces New 8-Zone Multi-Split Heat Pump System
Daikin AC Introduces New 8-Zone Multi-Split Heat Pump System for Light Commercial and Whole-House Comfort
RSES Introduces Geothermal Systems Guide
Mitsubishi Electric announced that Shuji Morisaki will step in as senior vice president, general manager.
Venstar Announces Supply Air Sensor Monitoring for ColorTouch Thermostats
HVAC Contractors Save Time and Money by Troubleshooting ColorTouch Thermostats From Virtually Anywhere